Frequently Asked Questions about the SG200 Battery MonitorWhat is the difference between State of Charge (SoC) and State of Health (SoH)?
1) Ensure that you have the latest software update from the Google Store or iPhone Store.
2) Shut down the APP on you phone.
3) Pull the fuse on the red power wire to the SmartShunt, wait 5 seconds, then replace the fuse
4) After the Display comes back on, conduct a Network Reset from the Display, then check for devices to be sure that every device is present.
5) Proactively “kill” the APP on your phone, then restart the APP.
6) Try the update process again, using only the phone APP. Use the following device update sequence:
a. Update Bluetooth (You must do this FIRST!!)
b. Update Display
c. Update SmartShunt and Battery Chemistries
7) Once the update is complete, then reset the Battery Type and and Capacity. This will load in the latest Battery Chemistry contained in the update.
8) You may need to pull the fuse between device upgrades, although a network reset is often enough. If you cannot update no matter what you try, consider running a XECHO test between the Display and SmartShunt, and/or move the Buetooth Gateway to plug directly into the SmartShunt.
- Disconnect the SmartLink cable from the display at the SmartShunt.
- Plug the Bluetooth Gateway directly into the port you removed the cable from in step #1.
- Ensure that the BT Gateway is the ONLY device plugged into the SmartShunt.
- Remove Fuse from SmartShunt, wait 5 seconds, and replace. 5)Proactively “kill” the APP on your phone, then restart the APP.
- Use the App to upgrade the Gateway, if it has an upgrade available.
- Upgrade the SmartShunt software. Please note that there is a point in which the gateway disconnects and then reconnects, so it may continue to upgrade the Chemistry files. Be patient and give it plenty of time.
- Plug the Display back into the SmartShunt, and the gateway back into the Display (the typical configuration)
- Remove Fuse from SmartShunt, wait 5 seconds, and replace.
- Upgrade the Display
You MAY need to pull the fuse between upgrading each device during this process.
Once completed, you should reselect your Chemistry AND reset your capacity to take advantage of the new chemistry profile improvements. If you have more than one SmartShunt or more than one Display, use the rule “Only one original device on the network at a time when upgrading” and you will be able to upgrade all devices. If after performing the upgrades the gateway no longer connects, you many need to turn your phone on and off to clear the bluetooth cache on the phone
This is a one-time issue, as long as you give each device of the same type (Display, SmartShunt) a unique name, you will be able to upgrade them in place going forward.
1) No power to the Color Display:
a. Power wires crossed, or poorly connected.
b. Deutsch-type connector is not seated fully.
c. Power sockets not seated properly on one or more SmartLink connectors.
2) Screen keeps resetting when the engine is running (vibration causing intermittent connection):
a. Same as #1.
3) Data becomes garbled on the Display, the Display freezes (data does not change as actual parameters change:
a. Poor data wire connections.
b. Deutsch sockets not seated properly in one or more SmartLink connectors.
4) APP cannot successfully upgrade devices, it fails repeatedly. It may also not show devices. This can be due to intermittent cabling if the data or power wires are connected, but have a poor interface to the sockets, like a bad crimp.
a. Same as #3.
The Color Display has a network cable testing feature called XECHO, found on the Advanced Menu. . When run, this feature will conduct a network test between that Display and the device that is currently selected (at the top of the Color Display screen. Possible results are as follows:
1. It shows VEC – only used by Balmar Engineering
2. Loop – number of tests
3. Err – number of errors. If errors are occurring, the network path from the Display to the device being tested is compromised in some way. There may be more than one cable; if for instance you are testing a SmartShunt that is not directly connected to the Display, but there is another SmartLInk device in-between.
NOTE about the XECHO test: It cannot be used to test the cable of the Bluetooth Gateway. If you run it, you will get errors even if there is nothing wrong with the cable.